Sunday 30 September 2012

Walton

Walton:

  • Presented as an endearing character "My dear sister"
  • Explorer- curious about the world and discovering new things. Family tradition "satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited"
  • Education was neglected- self taught
  • Intelligent- references Homer and Shakespeare, knows of Coleridge's work. 
  • Inherited a fortune from his cousin
  • Became a poet "for one year lived in a Paradise of my own creation". Was a failure and disappointed him. Likes to succeed. 
  • Admits fears "If I fail, you will see me again soon, or never"
  • Wants company on his voyage "I bitterly feel the want of a friend"
  • 28 years old
  • Began reading poetry at 14
  • More illiterate than a boy of 15
  • Caring "I removed him to my own cabin, and attended on him as much as my duty would permit"
  • Walton functions as the conduit through which the reader hears the story of Victor and his monster.
  • He also plays a role that parallels Victor’s in many ways. Like Victor, Walton is an explorer, chasing after that “country of eternal light”—unpossessed knowledge
  •  "What may not be expected in a country of eternal light?"

No comments:

Post a Comment